On April 30, Marriott announced the debut of its flagship brand in Accra, Ghana, with the Accra Marriott Hotel. The 208-room hotel is located in Airport City, a growing urban development within 7.5km outside of the city’s central business district. The hotel is also located across from Accra’s Kotoka International Airport. Other notable buildings in the hotel’s vicinity include the Holiday Inn Accra Airport, the Ibis Styles Hotel, Marina Mall and the Spanish Embassy.
The Accra Marriott Hotel offers:
- 201 Rooms and 7 Suites;
- 7 Meeting Rooms, with over 10,000 sq ft of total meeting space;
- Nkrumah Ballroom, with a maximum capacity of 650;
- The Greatroom, a state-of-the-art innovative business space that allows guests to seamlessly blend work and play;
- 3 Food & Beverage Outlets, including Red Red and Sanbra (all-day dining restaurants), and Fammy’s (which opens for lunch & dinner);
- An Outdoor Swimming Pool;
- And a Gym;
The hotel is owned by African Hospitality Limited, led by Managing Director, Eissame Halabi-Ahma who is also involved in other hotel projects in Guinea and Benin. Alex Kyriakidis, Marriott’s President and Managing Director for Middle East and Africa, commented on the significance of Accra as a commercial, manufacturing, communications and entertainment center. He said, “The Accra Marriott Hotel will add to the city’s maturing hospitality scene, inspiring guests with more forward-thinking experiences and aesthetically inspiring spaces that speak to their inventive nature.”
Marriott also recently announced the opening of a hotel in West Africa, the Sheraton Bamako Hotel, which opened in May 2018. The Accra Marriott is especially notable as this introduces the Marriott Hotel brand to West Africa.