- Name: Summit Hills;
- Location: Cross River State, north of the City of Calabar;
- Size: 367 hectares;
- Use: Mixed Use including a Convention Centre, Hotel, Golf Course and Clubhouse, Nature Reserve, Hospital and Residences;
- Developers: Mixture of Government and Public Private Partnerships;
- Opened: May 2015.
Summit Hills is a development located north of the City of Calabar, which will include a host of mixed use elements. Akin to Tinapa, the project is based on the vision of the current Governor of the state, in a bid to transform the Calabar economy ‘one hill at a time’. The mission is to build an economic engine that creates jobs, increases the economic potential and builds on the strengths of Cross River State.
Elements of the project include the Calabar International Convention Centre (CICC), Four Points by Sheraton Hotel, Calabar Golf Course and Clubhouse, Calabar Specialist Hotel, Golf Residences, Carnival Village and a Nature Reserve.
Here’s a summary of what each of these elements will provide:
- CICC – The CICC will be able to host 2,000 delegates in a single auditorium and 5,000 across 21 different venues. Other amenities will include an Internet café, a business centre and VIP areas among others.
- Four Points by Sheraton – A Sheraton hotel located beside the CICC.
- New Calabar Golf Course – An 18-hole championship golf course. According to the Cross River Tourism Authority, and according to the developer it will be one of the best on the continent, especially given the topography of its site.
- Calabar Specialist Hospital – The 105-bed specialist hospital will offer a full spectrum of secondary healthcare services, including services such as diagnostics (including MRI and CT), surgery, radiology, orthopaedics, paediatrics, gynaecology, and neurology. Funded via a PPP between the Cross River State Government and UCL Healthcare Limited.
This new development will work hand in hand with Tinapa, as a monorail system with a seating capacity of 78 persons per trip, will transport guests to and from the Tinapa side of the Calabar Channel. Tinapa offers a much larger retail offering than Summit Hills so there is an advantage to both parties if the two developments synergise. The monorail will also provide access to Studio Tinapa and Tinapa Water Park.
Finally, the Summit Hills development intends to be self sufficient in the delivery of the power generation via a local power plant situated nearby.
Watch the video and see the photos and resources below to find out more.
Resources on the new Hospital: