Mövenpick Hotels and Resorts opened its first hotel in Kenya, and the East African region, earlier in April 2018. The hotel is located in the Westlands district of Nairobi, and about 20km from the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport.
Speaking on the new development, Marc Descrozaille, President Middle East & Africa of Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts, commented on Kenya’s growing tourism sector saying, “This is an exciting and timely moment to enter Kenya’s hospitality market, with the tourism sector becoming increasingly important to the country’s economy, generating 10% of GDP – the same as banking – and predicted to grow by 6% annually over the next decade”. The location in Nairobi, Kenya will also be strategic in furthering the company’s expansion plans across East Africa. The property is owned by prominent regional real estate developer, Golf Course Hotel (K) Ltd.
The Mövenpick Hotel & Residences incorporates African design and decor in its architecture, and features rooms, suites, residences as well as dining and events concepts.
The hotel will have:
- 276 rooms, suites residences – 128 guestrooms, 94 studio rooms and 54 one and two bedroom residences;
- 700 sqm Almasi Ballroom, with a built-in stage and pre-function area;
- 1,033 sqm Hall of Africa, which can accommodate up to 1,200 guests;
- outdoor Cocktail Terrace, which can accommodate up to 200 guests;
- three Tana Boardrooms, three Zambezi Rooms and six Turkana Rooms;
- Baluba – the hotel’s all-day dining restaurant;
- La Mesa – a Latin-themed tapas restaurant;
- The View – featuring a 360-degree revolving view of the city and Swiss specialty cuisine;
- Kijani Bar – a pool-view terrace bar;
- Pool Bar;
- and the Lobby Cafe.
Mövenpick operates 83 properties and more than 20,000 rooms globally. On the African continent, it operates 16 properties in Egypt (which includes cruise ship properties), as well as three properties in Morocco. The 260-room Mövenpick Hotel Accra, which opened in 2011, was the hotel operator’s first Sub-Saharan African property. There are plans to open at least five properties in Egypt, Nigeria, Cote d’Ivoire and Ethiopia by 2020. These are: the 212-room Mövenpick Hotel Abidjan; the 252-room Mövenpick Hotel Addis Ababa; the 214-room Mövenpick Resort El Ein Bay, El Sokhna; the 300-room Mövenpick Hotel & Residences North Coast; and the 250-room Mövenpick Hotel & Conference Centre Abuja.